Thursday, April 19, 2012

Oldies replenished and restored.


Illuminated From Within

With the final chime of the grandfather clock
choice words, warm as mittens,
witter from between white teeth –
flighty moths escaping into the dark
carrying your life’s dust on their wings.
Straight as they go towards the sticky glow
of a bulb that nestles in my ribcage
swelling and shrinking comfortably –
a sponge for light particles.
Glittering stalagmite from the base of my belly
means we’ll never go hungry again.
Like all the wasps’ whispers in the pollen
your life rubs against mine.


Blind Spot

When the whiplash of your ideas
escaped like loose kite tails
I saw that familiar image
of someone fidgeting in a library
sitting tight on prickling feet
thinking hard, tongue against teeth,
learning ways to capture
those dancing kite strings,
those lost lanterns.

Your futures went like quick little fish in a rock pool.

I tried calm,
sought out all the possibilities of our alphabet
easily missed.

Then I remembered your outline.
The in between belonged to you
and I was calm as I never was,
knowing the coordinates of the blind spot
black dot where the backs of us cracked open
into the searing white –
where all the mouths and eyes
in unison
exploded and were lost.



Soldier

Looking up at The Plough that hovers above the house I grew up in
I realise that someday not far from now
you might kill a man
to get out of a situation you’ll be stuck in.
As plainly as the kitchen clock speaks,
I wonder if you’ll ever have to choose between
running backwards and admitting defeat.
You’ve been taking photographs on a low shutter speed
of a city I don't know any better than I know you;
I can’t assume much about how you are,
whether anything means the same to you as it does to me,
but just take care,
walk steady holding hands with the other seven, please.


Untitled

I’m rolling wholly up
in the stuff that makes you real,
feeling blindly for twins for these limbs
cold pinned with Braille
where they should be new egg smooth.
Never bored with
kaleidoscopic shapes of thoughts
caught, undulating
beneath the highest sky
from a place where
miles ago we collide.


7am. I am.

Letting the sober morning street carry me
carrying you, clambering back
to when we had an hour alone –
through seven o’clock’s slow attempt at snow,
in throbbing neon
today reads Welcome Home.



No comments:

Post a Comment