Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Grandpoems

Full Up

There is no shame in dining alone
because you’ll never be the only one
with a head full of tide
and a lung full of hum
to roll over that tongue with.



Grand

I

He was once the tallest policeman who knew how to be unafraid,
and now, still wearing a tie, he’s all dressed in beige,
standing alone out the front of a house that whispers,
painting the air with a wave that says,
‘I think of you every day.’

Ten years ago today, a child with a wonky smile,
I watched him crumble –
hands trembling in the hands of my mother
who has her mother’s hands.
His tie was there, and his hair, to match his expression,
was neatly flattened.
I couldn’t help but stare –
hope to never be consumed by a love such as his;
a love that should so completely,
so violently happen.


II

Ten years ago today I would have known you better
if it hadn’t have been for my oblivious age.
I’ve heard tell of times when you couldn’t leave the house
and I wonder when I’m stuck inside
if it’s you who might have been able to explain why
I sometimes can’t help but hide.
If I’d known we were to grow so alike
I could have asked you questions,
prepared for these lonely hibernations.
I’ve got you buried in my bones and,
some say, on the end of my nose,
and don’t worry about your village policeman
because each day I’m tugging on the string
between our tin cans.



Twenty-Oh-Four

This is the room where we couldn’t finish our homework
because we were too busy learning eye contact.
Here, dizzy on my dad’s homemade wine,
the colour of Ribena, dangerous as gin,
we slept dead until Sundays began to darken,
to find all of our friends had gone home hours ago.
We played hide and seek
with words we believed only existed written down;
here we learned what our mouths are for,
both the escape route and the cage.
This is the room in which we thought we were growing old,
where we got stuck on one another
in chequered pyjamas
before I could grab a hold.



This dandelion sky

is fooling me into thinking
that if I could just jump far enough to high five a cloud
I’d get a mouthful of that sweet smelling powder
my grandmother wore until the day she died.

1 comment:

  1. really enjoyed these, Julie. Particularly: Ten years ago today I would have known you better / If it hadn't have been for my oblivious age. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete