Thursday, August 12, 2010

Crashing, Fighting

You're my other mother.
At the top of my family poet tree
you sit, above me,
branches bending beneath us,
groaning about how the blanket sky
never warmed us both at once,
never stopped us both reading
one night when the moon
was cotton wool covered and blind.

Shreds of my identity
compare to you uncannily
and I'm afraid,
I'm afraid that I never met you,
never looked wide eyed up at you
while you intimidated the hell out of me.
You give me a vague urge to free
myself from any room I'm in.
I wanted you to make me
leave the room directly.

Stop moving me.

You're who I aspire to see
and am afraid to see
when I stand at the edge of the sea
looking in, hoping to read the waves
for some hint of futurity.
But I can't endure it like you did;
I too have been spat back out like a cork
and Mother, I'm glad,
because when it all gets too much
and I'm looking into the waves,
feeling nothing but grey,
I pull my hood over my eyes
and retreat silently.
Back to the shelter of the caves,
back to stare at my paper face
in the mirror and seethe,
write all over it in blue-black ink.
Mother I'm afraid I'm real,
too real, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment